PRESENTATION OF THE FIRST ISSUE OF THE “BULLETIN OF MONITORING OF THE HISTORICAL SPACE”
On April 19, 2017, in Minsk the presentation of the first issue of the “Bulletin of Monitoring of the Historical Space” was held
In 2015-2016, Belarusian specialists, working with the Foundation European Urban Institute, carried out a test monitoring of the state of selected historic buildings, constructed on the territory of Belarus in the XVI - XX centuries. In a test mode, sites were monitored, which were entered on the National List of Monuments in the 1990s and those that were entered on the National List of historical and cultural treasures of Belarus, as of 2015-2016. This enitiative enabled to assess the general condition of such sites and changes which have affected them. At the same time information was collected regarding activity of the governmental institutions in charge of protection of historical and cultural heritage, the contribution of religious and ethnic communities to the course of the protection, names of volunteers involved in such activities. In a separate monitoring group were allocated Jewish synagogues and prayer houses, remained after the Jews died in the Holocaust. Namely to them the first issue of the Bulletin of Monitoring of Historical Space was dedicated. The edition abounds in iconographic material particularly about synagogues and houses of prayer, found in the collections of the National Historical Archive of Belarus, State Archives of Brest Region, Grodno State Historical and Archaeological archive, the Museum of the Belarusian Polesye. There are also photographs, collected during field expeditions and this monitoring (2015-2016) in the issue. Of particular interest is the Inventory of Historical Buildings in Belarus, collected by the expedition of the Moscow Architectural Institute in 1945-1949. The first map was published, showing location and archival data of the Jewish synagogues and prayer houses in the interwar Brest.
The first issue of the Bulletin has seen the light of day thanks to the assistance and sincere devotion of prominent personalities, representing five countries. Each of those who have accepted the invitation to participate the project, have significant scientific and professional achievements. We are honoured to express our sincere gratitude to each of them. We hope that new publications, discoveries, remarks and comments of these and new contributors will appear on the pages of the Bulletin.
The presentation of the first issue of the Bulletin was attended by Alon Shoham, the Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Israel to Belarus, professor and academician Siargei Sergachou, deputy head of the department for preservation of historical and cultural heritage of the Ministry of Culture, archaeologist Ihar Charniauski, architect Mikhail Gaukhfeld, deputy chairman of the Belarusian Union of Architects, renowned scientists, researchers, authors of articles, published in the edition: Volga Kukunia, Sviatlana Adamovich, Yuryi Borysiuk etc.